Conquer Overwhelm: Your Ultimate Guide to Inner Peace With the Amazing Dr. Thema Bryant
The Mel Robbins Podcast with Dr. Thema Bryant
In this episode, Dr. Thema Bryant gives you the tools to conquer overwhelm and unlock inner peace.
Dr. Thema Bryant is the current president of the American Psychological Association. She trained at both Duke and Harvard, teaches at Pepperdine University, has published multiple best-selling books, and has spent decades of her life researching how you can stay calm and centered in any situation.
She calls this kind of peace “coming home” to yourself, and she will teach you how to do it, even if the world around you is in chaos.
Dr. Thema is simply incredible. Just her presence alone will put you at ease. She has the unique gift of weaving together psychological strategies for healing with the deeper spiritual cornerstones of faith and trust.
This is an encore episode with new insights from me at the top of the conversation. Given how overwhelming the world seems right now, I believe this profound and actionable conversation is exactly what you and I need to hear.
With Dr. Thema's wisdom and tools, you can and will overcome the overwhelm, anxiety, and stress you are feeling right now.
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- 3 ways to combat overwhelm and external stress
- 6 signs that you are disconnected from yourself
- What it means to be "psychologically wandering"
- How to handle people in your life who are chronically irritable and angry
- The surprising signs of "irritable depression"
- The 3 words to say to yourself before you can begin healing
- Why self-care is critical if you are in a toxic workplace
- Why you need to stop talking about your partner and your boss in therapy
- Where to find therapy when you can’t afford it
When the world feels dark, you and I must stay connected to our inner light. This episode will teach you how. Please share this with your loved ones because the world needs all of us to keep the light bright, and together we will.
In this episode:
- 2:15: I got really emotional when I acknowledged how my life used to be.
- 4:00: This is what it looks like when you’re connected to your own compass.
- 6:30: The 6 signs that you’re disconnected from yourself and what that means.
- 9:05: Even if you’ve never felt it; you can learn to be “home” with yourself.
- 10:50: The West African fable that should be required reading for everyone.
- 16:11: This is the first and most powerful step to your “homecoming.”
- 21:45: Do people with a bad attitude actually have depression?
- 24:50: What is healing, anyway?
- 26:08: How do we handle people who are irritable, frustrated, and angry?
- 29:40: It’s a big mistake if you wait for this before you start your own healing.
- 32:40: What does self-care actually mean?
- 34:10: Watching bedtime, high-crime TV? Then you need to hear this.
- 36:50: How to know if you need therapy or you need spirituality.
- 38:30: What is the definition of spirituality?
- 41:20: How do you heal from a lifetime of messaging that you’re not worthy?
- 44:00: This is how you handle being in a toxic work environment.
- 47:30: You are more than an employee or a partner.
- 48:50: Look to these resources if you can’t afford therapy.
Resources and go deeper:
Dr. Thema Bryant
- Learn more about Dr. Thema through her website.
- Read the book that made me emotional.
- Listen to her podcast here.
- Follow her on Instagram here.
- Or find her on Facebook here.
- Psycom: How to find affordable therapy.
- Scientific American: A new dimension to a meaningful life.
- University of Minnesota: Why is spirituality important?
- Frontiers: Spirituality and your health and well-being.
- Mindsplain: How can I be happy when others are suffering?
- American Psychological Association: Resilience in a time of war for parents.
- TODAY: How to manage war anxiety.
- US Dept of Justice: Coping after terrorism.
More Episodes For You
The Mel Robbins Podcast
The Mel Robbins Podcast with Dr. Paul Conti
The Mel Robbins Podcast with Dr. Amy Shah
The Mel Robbins Podcast with Dr. Amy Shah
The Mel Robbins Podcast with The Robbins Family
The Mel Robbins Podcast with Rebecca Zung