4 Surprising Secrets of Successful Relationships (What I Learned From a Fight with My Daughter)
The Mel Robbins Podcast with The Robbins Family
How do you have a “healthy” fight with your family?
How do you repair a relationship with someone you love?
Today Mel is joined by her husband Chris, their daughter Kendall, and their son Oakley to answer listener questions about all kinds of relationships.
This is the perfect episode to listen to with your family. You’ll hear the Robbins’ insightful, powerful, fun, and sometimes hilarious advice on how to get along with and love everyone in your family.
Hear Mel unpack the 4 important lessons she learned from a silly fight she had that morning with her daughter, Kendall (note: there is some cursing).
In this conversation, Mel, Chris, Oakley, and Kendall discuss:
The 4 important life lessons Mel learned from her fight with Kendall
How to use the Let Them Theory to diffuse fights with family
A smart relationship “trick” from a therapist that Mel and Chris love
Mel’s funny story of how she ran into Reese Witherspoon
How to repair a damaged relationship with your child
When and how to apologize to your family
What to do when someone you love is always angry at you
The real reason you treat your family worse than you treat strangers
What strengthens most parent-kid relationships
What happened when guilt made Kendall do something she didn’t want to
What to do when your kids don’t talk to you
The reason family members start a fight
The right moment to bite your tongue in an argument
The one thing that will stop you from “advice vomiting” on your kids
The phrase you need to repeat to yourself when you feel left out of your friend group (or when you just miss your friends)
What you need to know that will help you feel more confident after a move to a new home or school
What happens the moment you meet your idol (it’s not what you think
Check out my book, The High 5 Habit: https://a.co/d/g1DQ8Pt
The Mel Robbins Podcast Instagram: https://bit.ly/49bg4GP
Sign up for my newsletter: https://bit.ly/46PVnPs
In this episode:
- 01:03: Mel met her idol, and here’s how it went.
- 09:16: How you can repair a relationship where you messed up.
- 10:51: The reason we sometimes treat our family the worst.
- 12:21: The 2 things you should tell your upset or annoyed kids.
- 13:27: The importance of a parental apology.
- 16:34: How Kendalls perspective on family has changed with age and space.
- 17:43: The things Mel and Chris did that Kendall hated in high school
- 19:27: Let’s unpack the fight Mel and Kendall had this morning.
- 22:07: Ever try to make a workout class hungover?
- 26:21: Why you shouldn’t let guilt make you do something you don’t want to do.
- 27:45: The 4 lessons Mel learned from her fight with Kendall.
- 30:34: What to do when your old patterns shine through in a conflict.
- 32:17: Remember the let them theory? This is how Mel uses it in family conflict.
- 37:03: The importance of expressing your needs without being prompted.
- 40:05: How to support a child who is the “new kid” at school.
- 43:34: The 3 small things you can start doing today to make new friends.
- 46:21: The bloopers you’ve been waiting for.
Resources and go deeper:
- Harvard Business Review: How to Reach Out to Someone You Admire
- New York Times: 7 ways to reset your relationship
- Harvard Law School: Repairing relationships using negotiation skills
- Ohio State University: Study on adult children estrangement
- Washington Post: Should parents apologize to their kids?
- British Broadcasting Corporation: Is bigger always better?
- Harvard University: How We Argue: Strategies for Disagreeing
- Harvard Law School: Conflict resolution in the family
- Forbes: How To Let Go Of Guilt To Avoid It Bringing You Down
- The University of Kansas: Why is emotional expression important?
- Huffington Post: 10 Things I've Learned From Being the New Kid
- Forbes: You Probably Need More Friends—Here’s How To Make Them
More Episodes For You
The Mel Robbins Podcast with Trent Shelton
The Mel Robbins Podcast with Jamie Kern Lima
The Mel Robbins Podcast
The Mel Robbins Podcast with Dr. Ramani