Want to Be Happier Right Now? Don’t Make This Mistake (New Surprising Science)
The Mel Robbins Podcast with Dr. Judith Joseph
What is the secret reason you might not be happy?
Did you know that there are common things that steal fulfillment and joy from your life?
Today, Mel is diving into the 3 research-backed habits that can make your life better. Because happiness is not only possible; it is an option for you.
This conversation is not only comforting and impactful; it is also packed with practical and proven tools that can be put to work in your life immediately.
Mel is thrilled to introduce you to the incredible Dr. Judith Joseph, MD.
Dr. Joseph is a renowned double-board-certified psychiatrist who trained at and is affiliated with Columbia University and New York University. Dr. Joseph is also a pioneering researcher and the founder and principal investigator of her research institute, Manhattan Behavioral Medicine, where she has conducted over 60 clinical research trials, and today she is sharing her innovative work with you.
This interview took a surprising turn. In this hour-long conversation, Mel goes deeper than ever, discussing her struggle with the lingering feeling of “blah” she’s had for the past couple of years.
In this episode, you’ll also learn:
- Why you need to throw your idea of what happiness is out the window
- The ONE thing you need to know if you want to achieve a happier life
- What “anhedonia” is and the signs you might struggling with it
- Learn if you have anhedonia (and Mel’s shocking results to Dr. Joseph’s quiz)
- Dr. Joseph’s ONE recommendation for anyone who wants more daily enjoyment in life
- How long it will take you to be happier with Dr. Joseph's techniques
- 3 simple steps to taking better care of yourself this year
- The real reason the lack of joy is so common right now
- Why you don’t remember as much anymore
- The common mistakes you might be making that block joy
- The connection between slowing down and increased meaning and happiness
- The ONE thing Dr. Joseph will NEVER do to keep joy and happiness in her life
- Watch the episodes on YouTube
- Follow Mel on Instagram
- The Mel Robbins Podcast Instagram
- Mel's TikTok
- Sign up for Mel’s newsletter
- Get Mel’s free 29-page workbook to make this your best year
Ready for your next listen? If you liked this, you’ll love the episode Toolkit for Building Unstoppable Confidence (According to Research)
In this episode, you'll learn:
- 04:50: Why you need to throw your idea of what happiness is out the window.
- 05:48: The ONE thing you need to know if you want to achieve a happier life.
- 08:15: What is anhedonia and what are the signs you are struggling with it?
- 10:46: The connection between labeling feelings and overall happiness.
- 17:16: The real reason the lack of joy is so common right now.
- 22:24: Why you may be forgetting your COVID pandemic memories.
- 23:33: Is secondhand stress really possible?
- 30:24: The mistakes you might be making if you feel like joy is out of reach or not a priority anymore.
- 31:18: The quiz Mel took to assess whether she had anhedonia: https://www.drjudithjoseph.com/anhedoniaquiz
- 36:47: A psychiatrist's ONE recommendation for anyone who wants more daily enjoyment in life.
- 42:07: What the 5-4-3-2-1 grounding technique is and why you need to try it tomorrow.
- 46:47: The connection between slowing down and increased meaning and happiness.
- 52:34: How does being critical of yourself impact you?
- 57:02: The ONE thing ,as a psychiatrist, Dr. Joseph will NEVER do to keep joy and happiness in her life.
- 1:00:13: The small ways to insert joy into your life to be more successful.
- 1:01:02: Wait. Want to be happier TODAY? Here’s how.
- 1:03:42: What happened when Mel stopped doing the small things that truly made her happy.
- 1:04:32: How long it will take you to be happier, with Dr. Joseph’s techniques.
- 1:06:13: 3 simple steps to taking better care of yourself in 2024.
Resources and go deeper:
- Dr. Joseph’s Anhedonia Quiz
- Dr. Joseph’s High Functioning Depression Quiz
- Follow Dr. Joseph on Instagram
- Check out Dr. Joseph’s website
- Dr. Joseph’s Research Lab: Manhattan Behavioral Medicine
- Dialogues in Clinical Neuroscience: Neurobiological mechanisms of anhedonia
- American Journal of Psychiatry: A better understanding of anhedonia
- Frontiers in Psychology: Measuring anhedonia
- JAMA Network: Anhedonia in adults with and without mental illness
- Cambridge University Press: Anhedonia: a neglected symptom of psychopathology
- Dove Medical Press: Anhedonia in depression and schizophrenia
- The New York Times: New focus on the chemistry of joylessness
More Episodes For You
The Mel Robbins Podcast with Trent Shelton
The Mel Robbins Podcast with Jamie Kern Lima
The Mel Robbins Podcast
The Mel Robbins Podcast with Dr. Ramani