I know you’re busy. Which is why today’s message is the one thing you need to hear right now.
I need this message too. We all do.
Because there’s only one thing I want you to do this week:
That’s right. I want you to do absolutely nothing.
No, I’m not smoking anything funny when I say this. I’m dead serious.
Hear me out.
There is an art and a science to doing nothing, and we need to put it into our daily lives.
All this constant doing is impacting your energy, your drive, your stamina, and your ability to be present, which in turn affects the decisions you make and your relationships.
Look at it this way. What are you doing right now?
Because I bet you’re scrolling through podcast episodes to listen to as you jump on your Peloton, drive to work, fold laundry, organize your desk, or whatever it is you do when you multitask.
You and I live in a world that glorifies productivity and accomplishment. The busier we are, the more important we must be.
But all that busyness is not making you happier or healthier. In fact, you’re writing to me every day asking how to deal with burnout and overwhelm.
And look, I’m not exactly an expert. I struggle with this too, which is why I wanted to talk about it.
I can’t even take a freakin’ bath without feeling the urge to answer emails on my phone (and oftentimes, I do).
Like you, I have absolutely no idea how to do nothing.
But I know I need to learn how to turn off and unplug, even if it’s just for a minute.
This episode is the tough love that we all need. And it won’t require you to take a week off from work or be somebody who meditates all day.
We’re going to talk about how to create moments of peace in your daily life, no matter how complicated it may seem right now.
So whether you’re on vacation, studying for exams, running your own company, raising a family, or you’re in between three jobs, this episode is for all of us. And it’s one you deserve.
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- 0:12: The only thing you should do this week – and why
- 10:02: How to remain hopeful when you’re in the trenches and surrounded by high achievers
- 13:19: The only advice you should be following
- 15:41: Should you listen to people who don’t understand your life?
- 17:36: How I handle jealousy
- 19:25: How to make time for rest when it feels like a guilty pleasure
- 24:00: How to get out of your head and into the moment
- 26:40: What you and I will do at 2:13 pm every day
- 33:29: The difference between laziness and procrastination (and how it applies to you)
- For Closed Captions: Watch on YouTube and turn on “CC.” For instructions to turn on closed captions, click here.
- Brand new study: “Thinking about thinking: People underestimate how enjoyable and engaging just waiting is.”
- Harvard Business Review: Not Enough Time; Go Deeper
- The New York Times: The Case for Doing Nothing
- Psychology Today: Why Should We Slow Down?
- Ness Labs: The benefits of slowing down
- The Conversation: Why some people can’t stop running
- The New York Times: Why You Procrastinate
- The song Mel was playing: Genesis
- Calm your mind: Headspace App/Calm App
- Want to get your kids excited about doing nothing? Let’s Do Nothing!