Listen to the Mel Robbins Podcast twice per week, every Monday and Thursday, to achieve the life of your dreams.
In this episode, we are talking about the #1 thing you can do to make sure tomorrow is a productive and awesome day.
I’m sure you know the importance of a good morning routine.
But what you may not know is that a rock-solid morning routine – the kind that kickstarts you and your day for maximum focus and to feel more in control, calm, and like the rockstar that you are…
It doesn’t start where you think.
If you truly want to own your day, you must first own the night before.
Hours before you even lay your head on your pillow, your decisions have either set you up for success or they have set you up to fail.
Your brain is primed to be the most productive during the first 2-4 hours of the day. That’s why I want you to get serious about how you set yourself up the night before.
This episode is packed with research-backed tactics, specific advice, and the four science-backed components of the best evening routine.
And this is also one of those tough love, hit you with the common-sense, friend-to-friend conversations that you know and love from me.
Take my free 5-day challenge – The Wake Up Challenge – to walk you through getting started with these tools: www.melrobbins.com/wakeup.
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- 1:30: Here’s where your morning routine should REALLY begin.
- 2:30: Are you losing your next day by revenge procrastinating?
- 5:00: Here’s what my evenings used to look like. Can you relate?
- 10:00: Not getting out of bed with the first alarm? Here’s what you’re telling yourself every time you hit the snooze.
- 13:40: The way your morning starts is the lead domino for your day.
- 17:00: The secret to having a great morning is this.
- 19:30: Rule #1: The 3-2-1 Method that will help you get a great night’s sleep.
- 21:30: Rule #2: The Mindset Flip. This is how you make your life easier.
- 22:15: I do this at night so I get to the gym in the morning.
- 25:45: Rule #3: Feel way more empowered about your day if you do this.
- 28:15: No more excuses. Do this tonight.
- 30:00: Rule #4: This is where most of us get our mornings wrong.
- 33:30: Flip how you think about the alarm and you’ll shift your whole day.
- 36:40: I feel so strongly about this last hack because you allow the world to steal your attention and you deserve better.
- 39:15: I got a little worked up here, but it’s because I have regrets.
Resources and go deeper:
- For Closed Captions: Watch on YouTube and turn on “CC.” For instructions to turn on closed captions, click here.
- Want to know more about activation energy? Check out this episode: The Ultimate Toolkit for Creating New Habits: The Science Made Easy
- Join me for the Wake Up Challenge! You can do this. I know you can.
- Cleveland Clinic: Don’t eat before bed and you sleep better!
- NBC News: 12 Tips to master your kids’ morning routine.
- The New York Times: Shut down electronics two hours before bed for better sleep.
- Sleep Foundation: Here’s how electronics affect your sleep.
- The New York Times: Hangxiety? How a night of drinking can tank your mood.
- Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine: Caffeine even 6 hours before bed impacts sleep.
- The Washington Post: How to avoid decision fatigue.
- UC Davis Health: Why it’s important for you to stay hydrated.