The Toolkit for Healing Anxiety, Part 2
A Mel Robbins Podcast Toolkit with Dr. Russell Kennedy, MD
Today’s episode is a continuation of our exclusive two-part series with world-renowned medical expert, Dr. Russell Kennedy.
If you thought Part 1 of this series was life-changing, buckle up! Part 2 of this Toolkit brings you even more strategies and tools as we take questions from three more listeners of the podcast.
Is anxiety impacting your ability to sleep?
Tired of the negative loop of thoughts in your mind?
Is anxiety affecting your kids?
Is it genetic?
Are there surprising signs of adult anxiety?
Did your parents struggle with it, and you never knew?
How do you break generational cycles?
Dr. Kennedy answers these questions and so many more. You’ll also learn what most therapists get "wrong" about anxiety.
You'll find Dr. Kennedy’s approach both revolutionary and effective. As a medical doctor and neuroscientist, he will coach you on the critical difference between "coping” with anxiety and his protocol for "healing" it once and for all.
And for anyone in your life who may be struggling, please share this exclusive series generously; it could provide the life-changing answers and guidance they need to finally heal.
If you are looking for more free resources and support, I’ve got you! I have a brand new, free 3-part training called "Take Control with Mel Robbins."
This training will provide you with the coaching, structure, and support you need to hit reset, take control, and level up your life.
It features 3 brand-new training videos, two hours of research-backed curriculum taught by me, and a detailed 21-page workbook. Plus, you’ll be taking the course with over half a million other students around the world.
All at zero cost to you. Why? Because you deserve it, and it’s my way of thanking you for being here with me.
You’ve got nothing to lose and everything to gain. So why not take advantage of this opportunity?
Sign up for free at melrobbins.com/takecontrol now.
P.S. And if you haven’t yet listened to The Toolkit for Healing Anxiety, Part 1 then do that as soon as you listen to this one, because you can’t afford to miss out.
P.S.S. This Toolkit for Healing Anxiety is not meant as a replacement for therapy, but if you’ve been seeing a therapist for awhile, forward this series to them for guidance too. It would be great information to include in your sessions.
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- 3:45 What do you do when your anxiety creeps in at night?
- 6:15: Here’s where most therapeutic approaches get it wrong.
- 7:15: Use this strategy when you wake up in the night with anxiety.
- 10:00: Living with social anxiety? Dr. Kennedy explains why.
- 12:00: This is why you have a hard time slowing down. And me too!
- 14:30: I couldn’t believe what happened when I started facing my anxiety.
- 15:45: Cold plunges teach your body to be uncomfortable and still be okay.
- 17:15: This approach doesn’t eliminate the alarm, and yet you still heal.
- 20:00: Dr. Kennedy’s #1 tool to move you into rest-and-digest pretty quickly.
- 21:15: Not sure what your nervous system has to do with anxiety? Listen here.
- 23:45: Use these two tools to move yourself out of the freeze response.
- 30:00: So how do you start breaking the cycle of anxiety in a family?
- 34:30: For those of us who grew up in the “I’ll give you something to cry about.”
- 35:00: What are signs that your parents were actually struggling with anxiety?
- 43:30: Here’s what your life can look like once you heal your alarm.
- 45:15: Look at your alarm this way, and your mindset towards it changes, too.
- 49:45: Here’s the neuroscience behind why essential oils help calm your body.
- 52:00: Dr. Kennedy shares his tips for playing “the right way.”
- 56:15: Have this where you can see it to remember your partner’s vulnerability.
And if you missed when Dr. Kennedy joined us the first time, click here!
Resources and go deeper:
- For Closed Captions: Watch on YouTube and turn on “CC.” For instructions to turn on closed captions, click here.
- Dr. Russell Kennedy:
- Learn more about Dr. Kennedy here.
- Be sure to grab a copy of his book, Anxiety Rx.
- I love the reminders he posts on Instagram here.
- Or find him on Facebook here.
- Waking up in the morning with anxiety? Check out my personal 5 tips.
- Understand how trauma lives in your body with this incredible book.
- Scientific American: How parents’ trauma leaves biological traces in children.
- World Psychiatry: the long-term costs of traumatic stress.
- Frontiers: Childhood trauma and its link to chronic illness in adulthood.
- American Psychiatric Association: What is post-traumatic stress disorder?
- New York University: Research finds yoga significantly helps relieve anxiety.
- What is somatic experiencing therapy and how can it help with anxiety?
- This is EMDR therapy and how it can help if you’ve experienced trauma.
- And this is focusing-oriented experiential psychotherapy.
- Black Female Therapists: It is possible to heal from your trauma.
- APA: The benefits of sand play therapy for adults with childhood trauma.
- The New York Times: How to add more play to your grown-up life.
More Episodes For You
The Mel Robbins Podcast
The Mel Robbins Podcast with Dr. Paul Conti
The Mel Robbins Podcast with Dr. Amy Shah
The Mel Robbins Podcast with Dr. Amy Shah
The Mel Robbins Podcast with The Robbins Family
The Mel Robbins Podcast with Rebecca Zung