If you’ve ever dreamt of doing something big, today's episode will get your head spinning, open your heart, and inspire you to take the leap.
It doesn’t matter how young or how old you are.
You are meant to go big, to swing for the fence, and to do something no one has ever done before.
No more small plans. You have something big to do.
And there’s no better person to inspire you to make big plans than my friend and IT Cosmetics Founder, Jamie Kern Lima.
Jamie went from serving up stacks of pancakes at Denny’s to creating a product that would help millions of women around the world feel confident in their own skin.
Today you’ll hear the story of how she transformed the beauty industry, created the most successful product launch in QVC history, and ultimately sold IT Cosmetics to L’Oreal for 1.2 Billion dollars (becoming the first female CEO at L’Oreal in their history).
If you think Jamie had it easy on the way there, you’d be wrong. And you won’t have an easy time either, but so what?
Her story is a rollercoaster of rejection and disappointment, fear, self-doubt, and near bankruptcy.
But when you’ve got big plans, you just keep going. Jamie never lost faith, and today she is teaching you how to never give up on your big plans either.
In today’s episode, you will learn
- What to do when you have no idea what you’re doing.
- Why it’s okay to do something that’s been done plenty of times.
- What it’s like to pitch live on QVC.
- How to handle someone saying “Women won’t buy from someone who looks like you.”
- How to believe in yourself when nobody else does.
- A truth about success we rarely ever hear about.
- What to do when QVC says “NO you can’t sell that way.”
- How to react when some idiot tells you they won’t invest in you.
- How to break into an industry event and pitch your idea.
- How to harness belief in yourself when you want to give up.
Wow. Just wow.
If you don’t know what to get the graduates in your life, send this episode because it’s a real gift.
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- 4:50: Introducing today’s guest- my good friend, Jamie Kern Lima.
- 7:30: Jamie learned this important skill while working as a server at Denny’s.
- 9:00: Never disregard the seasons of your life that feel setbacks.
- 10:00: What the hell does it mean that our lives are happening “for” us?
- 10:45: Here’s how Jamie defines life’s purpose.
- 13:15: If you hate your job, listen to this.
- 16:50: The moment where Jamie knew she was meant to do something meaningful.
- 20:15: Not sure what your purpose is? Think about what you struggle with.
- 24:00: This is the biggest reason we talk ourselves out of following our dreams.
- 27:30: But how do you get started when you don’t even know what to do?
- 32:00: Ever had a gut feeling? Hear Jamie define intuition and how to tune in.
- 35:30: Try going through your day this way and build your intuition muscle.
- 37:20: Two reasons why we go through horrible, unspeakable times.
- 38:30: This was the biggest rejection moment that inspired Jamie to keep going.
- 41:15: Listen to the “no” or listen to the “knowing.” You get to choose.
- 44:30: How do you determine the NEXT right step?
- 46:45: Jamie lands a ten-minute do-or-die spot on QVC after multiple rejections.
- 57:00: Here’s how all that rejection became Jamie’s strength.
- 1:02:00: Does your purpose have to be part of your job?
Resources and go deeper:
Want more advice on following your dreams? Listen to “Giving Up Is Not An Option.”
Jamie Kern Lima:
- Learn more about Jamie on her Website.
- Follow Jamie on Instagram.
- Or you can follow Jamie on Facebook.
- Be sure to grab a copy of Jamie’s inspiring Book.
- The New York Times: How to get your intuition back after it’s hijacked by life.
- Harvard Business Review: How to let your purpose find you.
- Forbes: How to start a business in 11 steps.
- The New York Times: Should you quit your job?
- Business News Daily: How to get a bank loan for your small business.
- Greater Good Science: How to find your purpose in life.