Why do you always crave dessert after dinner? Or a snack mid-afternoon?
Today we’re digging into the science of cravings:
-Why you have them
-How to tell the difference between a craving and actual hunger
-How to eat your way to better health and a happier life.
Dr. Amy Shah is a double-board certified medical doctor with training from Cornell, Harvard, and Columbia Universities and an expert on intermittent fasting, hormones, and food cravings.
In today’s episode, you will learn:
*when to drink coffee in the morning so you stay energized all day
*how cravings relate to dopamine and how to curb them so they never come back
*why your sugar cravings are so strong and how to stop them
*the truth about probiotics and which ones your body needs right now
*what ghrelin and leptin are and why they are the secrets to a healthy metabolism
*the shocking research that compares antidepressants to food and exercise
*how to stop overeating
Our bodies are complicated, but your health doesn’t have to be. Let Dr. Amy empower you to live a more vibrant, fulfilled, and energized life.
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- 2:45: So what’s the difference between hunger and cravings?
- 6:00: Many of our poor food choices are not our fault.
- 19:30: So how do we fix our eating habits if we’re not always in control?
- 20:30: Food and exercise are more effective than drugs for anxiety and depression?!
- 23:20: So what are some of the foods that will boost natural hormones?
- 28:30: Drinking enough water during the day makes you eat less.
- 37:30: Here’s what food companies know about dopamine.
- 41:40: Do this when you want to stop overeating.
- 44:45: Why does dopamine work better when you reward yourself at random times?
- 46:30: What are psychobiotics and how do they stop cravings?
- 50:20: Here’s how your gut and your brain talk to each other and what that means.
- 51:30: What exactly is the relationship between food and bacteria?
- 55:15: So where do we start with supplements?
- 57:30: The #1 probiotic that you should be adding to your days.
- 59:30: How the hell do you get rid of your sugar cravings?
- 1:03:30: Do you get enough sleep? Here’s why that matters.
- 1:06:00 Why you should wait 45 minutes before you drink your coffee.
- 1:08:10: This is what Dr. Amy thinks about intermittent fasting and how she does it.
- 1:10:00: Eat a high-dopamine breakfast to start your day on the right track.
Resources and go deeper:
- For Closed Captions: Watch on YouTube and turn on “CC.” For instructions to turn on closed captions, click here.
Dr. Amy Shah:
- Learn more about Dr. Amy on her website.
- Find her on Instagram here.
- Check out her bestselling book here.
- Medical News: Study finds exercise more effective than medication for anxiety.
- Harvard Health: Exercise all-natural treatment for depression.
- U. of Australia researchers calling for exercise to be a mainstay prescription.
- PubMed: Randomized controlled trial of EFT and CBT for food cravings.
- Trends in Neurosciences: The impact of psychobiotics and gut health.
- American Psychological Association: The future of psychobiotics.
- Nature Journal: Psychobiotic interventions for anxiety in children.
- Plos One Journal: Effects of brisk walking on sugar cravings
- Journal of Neurogastroenterology: Probiotic effects on anxiety.
- Scientific American: Is your gut making you depressed or anxious?
- Annals of Gastroenterology: Explaining the gut-brain connection.