In this episode, you’re getting a crash course in 13 essential hacks that will help you be more successful, and they’re backed by surprising research out of Princeton.
Vanessa Van Edwards is the founder of the behavior lab The Science of People, a behavioral investigator, body language expert, and bestselling author who specializes in the kind of science-based people skills most of us never hear about.
Vanessa’s research proves that anyone can learn these practical skills, earn the trust of others around them, and become more confident, competent, and reliable.
News flash: You don’t have to be an extrovert to be successful.
Whether you want to be a better leader, land your dream job, achieve big goals, or align your life with what you want, this is the episode for you.
Listen, and you'll learn:
- 3 things you must do in the first ten seconds of a Zoom call to appear trustworthy and reliable
- How to nail any interview by building unstoppable confidence
- Why do you keep getting passed over for a promotion?
- The words you need to get the bonus or raise you deserve
- Why a second impression is just as important as the first
- How a fake smile will ruin your reputation
- The simple mistake we all make when asking for what we want
- How do you spot a liar?
This is an encore episode that is packed with tools, tips, and scripts to boost your chances of success. With new and exciting insights from me at the top of the episode, you will leave feeling more confident for your next interview, first date, or wherever you are upleveling in your life.
You owe it to yourself to learn how to cultivate unstoppable confidence and influence, and you can do that in just a few minutes.
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- 2:23: The shocking research from Princeton about how people size you up.
- 4:50: What exactly IS charisma and what does it look like?
- 6:58: Why high achievers can’t just rely on their intelligence.
- 8:15: Two types of awkward people and how to tell.
- 14:14: Are you highly competent? Look for these three signs.
- 16:42: What highly competent people are missing.
- 21:27: What highly warm people are missing.
- 23:58: The ONE thing you need to do in the first 10 seconds of your Zoom call.
- 28:06: A simple test that will help you figure out how charismatic you are.
- 32:10: The reason why you keep getting passed over for that promotion.
- 40:08: Why you should never fake a smile.
- 46:02: Three ways you can start building your charisma today.
- 47:42: Why a second impression is as important as the first.
- 51:07: Five silent cues to command respect in any situation.
Resources and go deeper:
- For Closed Captions: Watch on YouTube and turn on “CC.” For instructions to turn on closed captions, click here.
Vanessa Van Edwards:
- Dr. Susan Fiske: Princeton researcher studying charisma
- The Human Brand: book by Susan Fiske and Chris Malone.
- To take Vanessa's charisma test, click here.