Listen to the Mel Robbins Podcast twice per week, every Monday and Thursday, to achieve the life of your dreams.
Today’s episode is a masterclass on finding your purpose, listening to your gut, and never giving up (no matter what other people say).
So many of you write in asking for advice about purpose that I’ve decided to introduce you to a guest whose life story is the epitome of purpose.
You’re about to meet a woman who went from serving up stacks of pancakes at Denny’s to creating a billion-dollar product that would help millions of women around the world feel confident in their own skin.
It was such a success that L'Oréal recently bought her company for $1.2 billion dollars.
I’m talking about none other than Jamie Kern Lima, the founder of It Cosmetics.
And if you think that her purpose in life was to create a cosmetics company, you’d be wrong.
The topic of purpose is essential and misunderstood, so today I’ll teach you how to truly find your purpose using Jamie’s inspiring story and tactical tools every step of the way.
In fact, her takeaways are so good that I refer to her as the “Professor of Purpose,” because by the end of this episode, you’ll be closer to finding yours.
Learn how today. Class is in session with one of the most successful self-made women today.
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- 4:10: Feel like there’s something bigger you’re supposed to do? Jamie did too.
- 5:30: Like it or not, here’s why your current job is important to your future you.
- 6:29: Your setbacks are more valuable than you think.
- 8:30: Jamie nails what “purpose” actually is and why most of us think of it in the wrong way.
- 12:00: Big takeaway: your steps are ordered exactly as they should be.
- 15:40: Why Jamie’s 1.2 billion dollar idea almost didn’t happen and the ‘AHA’ moment that changed everything.
- 18:45: That modern-day beauty movement we love? It was done FIRST by Jamie.
- 20:20: If you’re feeling stuck, here are the words you need to hear TODAY.
- 22:00 How do you go from AHA to actually getting started?
- 28:00: How to face your #1 critic (yourself) and start trusting your gut.
- 33:10: A profound reframe on the hardships you have experienced.
- 34:00: Jamie’s story of one of the most painful rejections she ever experienced and the life-changing lesson she learned about intuition.
- 47:50: The expert advice Jamie defied to instead go with her gut.
- 53:15: Listen to Jamie’s advice if you have been rejected over and over.
- 56:30: Here’s the perfect way to frame your true power.
- 58:20: Stop thinking about purpose in this way. Here’s the truth about finding your purpose.
- 1:01:15: 2 exercises to help have your own ‘AHA’ moment.
- 1:04:00: Why going after your dreams is YOUR responsibility.
Resources and go deeper:
- For Closed Captions: Watch on YouTube and turn on “CC.” For instructions to turn on closed captions, click here.
- The Mel Robbins Podcast: Your Dreams Are Not a Joke
- Take my free 5-day Wake Up Challenge
- Jamie Kern Lima Website
- Jamie Kern Lima Instagram
- Jamie Kern Lima Facebook
- Jamie’s Book
- Jamie works closely with this nonprofit, Look Good Feel Better
- The New York Times: How to get your intuition back after it’s hijacked by life
- Harvard Business Review: How to let your purpose find you.
- Forbes: How to start a business in 11 steps.
- The New York Times: Should you quit your job?
- Business News Daily: How to get a bank loan for your small business.
- Greater Good Science: How to find your purpose in life.