3 Steps To Finding Your North Star: An Exciting New Approach To Designing Your Life
The Mel Robbins Podcast with Kendall Robbins
Welcome to an exciting new masterclass on designing the life of your dreams.
First, you’ll learn the process for identifying your own North Star, why this is important at the beginning of creating your new life, and how to use your North Star to guide you in the process of designing your life.
Next, you’ll dive deep into the 3-part framework: Emulate, Assimilate, and Innovate.
This framework is the backbone of the University of Southern California’s world-renowned Popular Music major taught at their Thornton School of Music.
It’s the creative process artists use to create songs, movies, and video games. The framework has helped launch Grammy-winning artists and touring musicians for the past decade.
I just learned about it a week ago and was so blown away that I had to share it with you.
When an artist creates a song, they begin with a blank piece of paper.
When you design your life, you are an artist with a blank canvas.
Today, you’re invited to tap into the artist within and learn how to find your North Star and use the creative process to bring your vision for your future to life.
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- 3:00: Hear me describe the woman who recently became MY North Star.
- 6:40: Choosing this kind of person as your North Star is best.
- 10:15: If you skip Step One in this process, you’re making your life much harder.
- 14:15: Here’s how Jennifer Aniston made her way into our conversation.
- 18:10: We start unpacking what Step One of the process looks like.
- 21:00: Think of the space in between where you are and want to be as special.
- 22:15: Try using “want” instead of “need” when it comes to goals and see what happens.
- 25:20: This is what I did when I first started to dig myself out, but it took me much longer.
- 28:00: Here’s why this person is my North Star and why he puts a fire in my belly.
- 31:15: Let’s define the first two steps in this important process and how they’re different.
- 34:00: How do you know when you’re done and you’ve become your own North Star?
- 41:45: Kendall’s biggest takeaway from working through this process.
- 42:45: The way I sign out on all my podcasts was inspired by this woman.
Resources and go deeper:
Having a hard time moving forward?
- For Closed Captions: Watch on YouTube and turn on “CC.” For instructions to turn on closed captions, click here.
- Inc: Research shows how to choose the perfect role model.
- The Boston Globe: The power of a role model, whether you’re 9 or 99.
- Shoutout to Chris Sampson, Professor at USC’s Thornton School of Music.
- Frontiers: What are the stages of the creative process?
- When it comes to getting creative, we love Julia Cameron’s The Artist’s Way.
- We love this example of emulating Jennifer Aniston’s workout.
More Episodes For You
The Mel Robbins Podcast with Trent Shelton
The Mel Robbins Podcast with Jamie Kern Lima
The Mel Robbins Podcast
The Mel Robbins Podcast with Dr. Ramani